BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 7, 2008

"... Let's See How Far We've Come ..."

There's something oh-so-pleasant about getting out of bed at seven a.m., waking to a cool, hazy morning. Even better is stepping out of the truck at the barn an hour later; and, for a change, finding the barn totally empty. You're the first person to arrive that day and as you get your horse out of his stall and start brushing down on him, you sing a happy tune to yourself, and your horse, ever patient, listens intently. The arena was drug the night before and you and your horse make the first footprints in the freshly-tilled soil as you head into the pen. You warm up together, horse and human both trying to work out the kinks and just-woke-up stiffness before your lesson begins. Finally your trainer sits in the viewing area and shouts you commands from the rail as you and your horse execute every maneuver he asks for. When you mess it up, your trainer gives you helpful hints (or constructive critisism!) ... but when you get it right, all you get is a smile. Finally the sun is starting to leak through the barn. The morning chill is fading and the clouds are burning off. Your lesson's over and at the end of such a glorious early morning ride, all you can do is grin.


That's how it's been for me the last couple of days. Glorious early morning lessons leading into blissful afternoons working horses in return. My trainer has been having me come out to the barn every morning this week, getting me prepped and prepared for this weekend's horse show. More importantly, my trainer has put a double bridle on Bob for the first time, and the horse and myself are both getting used to it. A double bridle means two bits in Bob's mouth at one time, and two reins in each hand for me. It's taken some getting used to, but the results are well worth the effort. Bob looks lovely in his new bridle, and the effect of the different bits is making a big difference in our rides.
The main reason for getting me in the double bridle this weekend is for my show hack - and, in essence, getting me ready for Nationals. I can't believe Sport Horse Nationals - such a big and important show for me - is coming up so fast! I've not even known Bob for one year and yet, in a month's time, we'll be making the haul together for Nampa, Idaho for what is going to be the biggest show of my life.

I can't even believe how far Bob and I have come in the small amount of time we've been together. He's made my every dream come true so far, and then some. Bob's done my every bidding with a "smile" on his face, no matter how far out of his element it put him. From dressage to cow sorting and everything in between, Bob's been willing to give it a go; just because I asked.
And my trainer! This month marks the one-year anniversary of riding under this new trainer, and he's taught me more about riding in that one year with him than I've learned in the four years I'd been riding previous under any other trainer. There's nothing I could say to my wonderful trainer to thank him enough for all of the hours and effort he's put in to make Bob and I the team we are today - and for letting me turn his National's quality western pleasure horse into a dressage horse, WAHSET mount, and trusted friend <33

I leave tomorrow for an Arab show. The next weekend is a Sport Horse show. And after that ...
... our main goal is Nationals.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a wonderful feeling. I love getting up early and being the first at the studio. there's a peace to it that's just amazing.

Congrats! Wow that sounds like ahuge deal! lol anything that's titled "Nationals" probably is =]
Good luck I'm sure you'll do beautifuly. <3

Jenna said...

I wasnt expecting anyone to really be able to relate to that first little bit. lol
But it sounds like you do!

Thanks :) It's mostly a big deal because it's, like, my lifelong dream to compete at that level.
To accomplish my lifelong goal, at age sixteen!
...!
I am truely blessed.

Anonymous said...

that's wonderful!
May you accomplish many more goals to come!

Savy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Savy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Savy said...

I have no studio and no barn but I know the amazing feeling of getting up early in N.C. and walking through the woods to my fave clearing to write poems. Mornings are really gorgeous.

Wow! 2 bits and 2 reins? 0.o I can't imagine competeing at that level. That's AMAZING! Nationals! I'm so happy, you'll do great.
I'll keep a prayer for you! <3

Savy said...

lol sorry for the deletes my computer screwed up for a second there