BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 26, 2008

My Chem Speaks Out

My Chemical Romance has recently posted the following statement on the band's official website, responding to the many newspaper articles that have labeled them a "suicide cult rock band" and have blamed them for the suicide of a teenage girl. I have written extensively on this issue in a previous post, and am happy to have an update to this tragic story.
Here is the post from the MCR website:


A Message From My Chemical Romance
23 May 2008 - 6:29pm

We have recently learned of the suicide and tragic loss of Hannah Bond. We'd like to send our condolences to her family during this time of mourning. Our hearts and thoughts are with them.

My Chemical Romance are and always have been vocally anti-violence and anti-suicide. As a band, we have always made it one of our missions through our actions to provide comfort, support, and solace to our fans. The message and theme of our album "The Black Parade" is hope and courage. Our lyrics are about finding the strength to keep living through pain and hard times. The last song on our album states: "I am not afraid to keep on living" - a sentiment that embodies the band's position on hardships we all face as human beings. If you or anyone that you know have feelings of depression or suicide, we urge you to find your way and your voice to deal with these feelings positively.

**EDIT 5.27.08: A fellow MCR fan who goes by the name of Nemesis when she comments on my blog left me a link to the following video. It moved me and reminded me of why Gerard is my hero, and supports what the band has said above. I couldn't help but share this video with everyone on my blog. Thanks Nemesis!

Gerard Way gives an anti-suicide speech at a concert in Canada:



I find it extremely hard to believe that if the authors who wrote those articles bashing MCR had watched this video, that they would have said the things they did. How can you listen to what this man has said and then call the band he's in a "suicide cult rock band"? It makes no sense.
Stay strong, boys. This is ridiculous, and all your real fans know that. We're behind you one-hundred percent, no matter what the media says.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love their reaction!
Have you hear about the fan's march against the Daily Mail in London on May 31th?
And have you seen this awesome video of Gerard talkin about suicide in Vancouver, Canada in 2007?

This video just makes me cry. He's so serious when he speaks! You can feel that he has experienced terrible thaings and that he just wants to avoid people to make the same mistakes <3

Jenna said...

I don't think I've seen the video of Gerard speaking in Canada ... link? ;)
These guys are amazing and it's terrible that they've been blamed for things that are out of their control.

Anonymous said...

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBJVbu6paJA&eurl=http://my-chemical-romance.zikforum.com/my-chemical-romance-f4/my-chemical-romance-au-tribunal-t1129.htm

Anonymous said...

OMG! Check this!
http://www.thankyoumcr.net/

I was just crying while reading!

Jenna said...

Thank you so much for the link! <3
As you can see, that video meant a lot to me; I added it to this post! When Gerard was speaking, you could tell he meant every word, and he made sure the fans in the crowd understood what he was saying.
Those stories on TYMCR ... wow. I hope My Chem knows just how much they mean to so many people <3

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! This video has to be widespread, everyone has to see that! (Well, I mean, every MCR fan lol)
So people, you, anyone who reads that, please share it!

And conceirning TYMCR, the bigger the website will be, the more chances there are for the band to be aware of this. (Uh? Is that understandable?)

I'm wondering how they would react to this website!?

Anonymous said...

Wow. . .I've been waiting for a reaction for a while. I thought for a bit that maybe they'd ignore the negative publicity. I'm glad they didn't!

He really is something else. . .he gives hope to so many kids out there.

Jenna said...

Nemesis ... I think everyone should see that, MCR fan or not! <3 I think the boys would be glad to read about the lives they've saved and the positive influences they have been. I have a feeling they know a lot of the stories ... but I think reading that would mean a lot to them.

Amy ... I agree. Especially since the suicide happened in September of '07, I figured maybe they'd do their best not to encourage publicity of the story (what I really want to know is why these articles are being published so long after the incident ... ?). I am glad they decided to respond, and in such a cool, politically-correct manner.
Three cheers for the boys! <3

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to send this website to, I don't know, the e-mail adress of their producer or something to try to show them?
Or maybe send it directly to the Daily Mail?

Jenna said...

I know on their website under "Links" they have an email address listed for "info and general questions" ...
I'm sure they get THOUSANDS of emails daily going "omg gerard u r sooooo hott!!!!!!!" (*disgusted*) and so chances are whoever checks that email address - be it their producer, manager, ect. - doesn't have time to read all those emails, but I guess you could always email the link to TYMCR there and see what happens ... ?
And I'm sure if you checked out The Daily Mail's website you could find an email address of some kind. I know you can also comment on their articles online, so if nothing else you could leave the URL in a comment.
That's something I suppose <3

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'll try to send to both, maybe concerning the website my email will be read if I choose a good title, something eyecatching. I'm at work right know (internship -_-"), I'll think about that during the journey.
About the daily mail I think I'm gonna leave the adress both in an email I'm gonna send to them and in the comments part of the article so that fans be aware of that and keep on posting thousand of message on TYMCR.

If I've got some news about all that, I'll tell you!

Savy said...

I'm so glad Gerard spoke about that and showed that he cared. He really loves his fans and he wants them to be happy and know what he stands for. He didn't dis the authors of those articles *looks around suspiciously while whistling* and he didn't immediately defend himself and the band- he gave his condolences and talked about reaching out for help as an alternative to self harm. He really is great.

I've got those websites!

Jenna said...

Nemesis ... yes, be sure to keep us informed if you make any progress! :D

Savy ... this man never ceases to amaze me <3