My high school equestrian team recently hired a new coach to help us with our cattle events; sorting, daubing and breakaway. While he's currently teaching us about cows, I think he might have been a gym coach in a past life.
I had my first practice with him tonight, and it was a lot of fun. We practiced cutting rather than sorting, which was a blast. Bob thinks cutting is a lot of fun ... it just takes him a minute to realize he can go that fast and be that out of the bridle and not get in trouble for it :p Silly western pleasure pony. Anyway. But our new coach was threatening to make us run lines in the arena if we kept turning away from the cattle rather than towards them when we were cutting. Then, the people who weren't cutting at the moment mostly didn't pay attention, and when our coach realized we were just chatting instead of watching our teammates cut, he told us all to get off our horses; we were working the cattle on foot as punishment!
It was way harder than you would imagine. Those cows were fast and that arena dirt was deep. A lot of girls hit the dirt; I was one of them, I hate to admit. Stupid, stupid lack of coordination. Oh well. My asthma wasn't helping the situation either. One of my friends on the team is also in my gym class at school, so he knows all about my asthma ... and he had the nerve to call out "Do you need your inhaler?!" while I was running the cow on foot (I did pretty well, if I do say so myself ... minus falling on my face, and not being able to breathe all that well). Another one of my friends said she hit him good and hard after he said that. It was much appreciated ... he deserved it :p lol
So, yeah. Practice was a lot of fun tonight ... watching my teammates and I run the cattle on foot was good for a laugh if nothing else :D Me and my sorting partner's horses did really good with the cutting, and hopefully we have a more successful go at Olympia than we did in Ridgefield ... yeah, that didn't go so hot for us. I'm not even going to get into it.
Okay, talk to ya'll later!
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Gym Coach Turned Cowboy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

fabulous blog award; thanks amy!
inspirational blog award. thanks amy & savy!
0 comments:
Post a Comment