*More pictures coming soon!*
Yesterday, I shot a semi-automatic revolver for the first time.
...if I use any more big words I'm going to feel like a complete poser, so I'm just going to get on with my story.
Lil'emo invited me to come shooting with her day and herself yesterday around four o'clock. I thought it sounded like a lot of fun, and when I asked my mom if it was alright for me to go, she only had one thing to say to Lil'emo;
"As long as you promise not to kill her, she's fine to go."
Either way, I got to go. I'd never shot a gun before in my life, so Lil'emo's dad taught me everything I needed to know (included all those big words up there). He started me out using the rifle, because - as I would learn later - it is easier for a beginner to learn on. He taught me what all the parts were, what they did, and all the safety precautions. When we got inside, he showed me how to lay properly when I was shooting (I'm nowhere near strong enough to shoot a rifle standing up; just holding the thing was a challenge for me. All my muscle is in my forearms, not my shoulders), and after placing carpet rolls under the barrel of the rifle (again, lack of strength here) he let me shoot a few times "dry", meaning the gun wasn't loaded. Finally, he showed me how to load the rifle...and I shot it for the first time.
It was so much fun!! But really hard, too. I never thought it would be so hard to line the thing up; it took me forever to start getting the hang of getting both sights lined up...and then I still had to find the target! It was very challenging...but I think the challenge is what made it so much fun.
After shooting half a box of amo (lol) at my first, simple target, Lil'emo's dad, Lil'emo, and myself all went to go see how I did. Apperantly, I did really good; Lil'emo and her dad told me I had a nice "group", meaning all my shots were generally in the same place, even if that wasn't on the bullseye. All my shots were on the black portion of the target, which, according to Lil'emo's dad, takes some people months to accomplish. Yay me ;)
After that, I was given a new target sheet with five small targets on it and was told to shoot five times in each target. The catch? These targets were a lot smaller, and therefore much harder to see through the sights. After that target was done, I decided I needed my contact lenses updated; I could hardly see the thing! However, when we looked at how I'd done, I got more compliments on my groups, and all my shots at least hit the individual targets. Yay me, again ;)
Finally, me and Lil'emo put our rifles away and out came the pistol. After going over how to load the pistol, cock the hammer, hold the gun, line up the sights, and, finally, shoot, Lil'emo's dad asked who wanted to shoot first. Lil'emo just looked at me, and said, "I think [cowgirl4christ] should go first."
OK, whatever. So I take the pistol and Lil'emo's dad goes through everything over again, including how to stand. He also told me that "the pistols kicks, but not too bad."
It took me the better part of a minute to line up the sights. When I finally thought I had it all lined up, I slowly pulled back the trigger like I had been told...and was surprised when the gun didn't go off as quickly as the rifle had. I kept pulling back, and all of a sudden....bang!
Lil'emo wished she had her camera ready for my reaction to my fist time shooting the pistol. After the gun went off, I just stood there for a moment...and, finally, I reacted. My eyes got huge and my mouth dropped open, and I just watched as all the black powder smoke fade away. Oh ya, that didn't kick too much...just enough to scare me completelly to death! Finally I looked at the target, and found that I actually hit the paper...which was good, I suppose.
Me and Lil'emo traded back and forth shooting six shots each on the pistol, and when we had both gone three times, we went to retrieve our targets. Nine out of my eighteen shots actually hit the paper (that's 50% make, 50% miss); ten, if you count the one that just nicked the bottom of the target. One of my shots actually made it in the black. All of Lil'emo's shots made it in the black part of the target; show off! Just kidding!
When we were finally done shooting, we went to Lil'emo's mom's feline vet clinic to help her take care of the patients. I helped Lil'emo take care of the cats in the lodging room and got outsmarted by a little brown kitten who liked to escape from his cage ;)
Then, we went to Wendy's, and I had a #3; the massive three-patty, 3/4 lb cheeseburger. It was really really good, and Lil'emo couldn't believe I ate it all!
I knew I was going to be sore after shooting...and this morning, I found I was correct. My shoulder muscles ache, and I've been taking Advil all morning. Oh well; no pain, no gain, right?
Riding lessons later will be interesting.... ;)
My First Targets!!!
Above: Rifle targets; first target (left) and the five target
Below: Pistol target

fabulous blog award; thanks amy!
inspirational blog award. thanks amy & savy!
0 comments:
Post a Comment