This past year has been so amazing for me. And it just keeps getting better.
I don't know why, but something about this year was special; God was watching over me. And even the bad times weren't so bad. I felt I was stronger this past year than in years before, and that good things were happening to me; miracles, really. But maybe it was just that my eyes were open this time.
Like always, the good had to begin with the bad. Leaving my very first riding stable was extremelly hard for me to do. I had riden there for four years, and the abrupt way my attitude about the place, my views about what was going on there, shocked me. That Summer was so hard. Leaving all of my friends - horse and human - broke me apart. I had called that place my home for so many years, and suddenly leaving like that shook the foundation of what I had known - thought - was right for all those years. I changed my world during That Summer; for the better, I knew. But why is the right thing always so hard to do? Logan, dear Logan...that killed me the most, leaving him. You all know the story, so I won't repeat myself. But leaving that stable meant leaving him...and in leaving him, I left part of myself behind. And it hurt, more than I ever thought it would.
I guess the first great thing that happened to me after That Summer was Smokey. He's brought so much joy into my life, and through the good and the bad (see "Frusterations", July 2007) we've always seemed to come out on top. It's like no matter what happened to that neat little horse, nothing could bring him down. We've grown a lot together, and I know it will just keep getting better.
But something had to try to bring us down. Moving stables again in less than a year was harder still. Of course, I hadn't had a chance to lay down too many roots in my new home, but the ones I had were deep; tearing myself back out of that familiarity hurt me again. At least I had someone with me this time; Smokey came with me when I left my second barn. Even though I left everyone else behind, I still had him. It helped, a lot.
Things started turning around when I moved to Stable #3. I've only been there for barely a month, but it's already starting to feel like home; a fact that may hurt me later on. But I have a feeling that this will be different than other places I've been. I know for a fact that my instructor is teaching me more than ever before, and that me and Smokey have never looked so good. I think this is a good place to be, for now; hopefully fate doesn't have any more tricks for me at the moment.
Out of difficulties grow miracles. ~Jean de la Bruyere
But even through all the change and hardship, so many miracle have come out of this.
Smokey getting through everything that's happened to him is a miracle in itself, one that's been glowing brighter and brighter since the day we brought him home. Bringing him home, getting him away from his old owner, that was a miracle. Him improving significantly after his six-week lay-up was a miracle. Competing in our first horse show was a miracle. Him not permanently injuring himself when he went through the fence was a miracle. Ever since September of 2006, this flicker of hope has just been growing stronger.
Two new, recent miracles have come upon me recently that let me know that God is watching out for me and those I love.
I had made good friends with a lot of people at my second riding stable, and leaving them hurt me deeply. However, it seems that my old riding instructor - the reason I left my old stable to begin with - is leaving, and the owners of the barn I used to ride at are welcoming me back with open arms. They've asked me if I'd be willing to help withh some of the chores around the barn, since they will be short of staff once my old instructor leaves.
Willing? Of course I was willing! And while I was talking to them, I had to ask about my old friend Jimmy, the Missouri Fox Trotter gelding I had befriended when I rode there. After I took Jimmy to his first show, his owners - the owners of the barn - decided to place Jimmy up for sale; they said it was because they needed a bigger horse, but I believe they saw Jimmy's potential at that show, and realized that someone else could use that potential better than they could.
Either way, it didn't matter, because they have taken Jimmy off the market. His owners even said that if I helped out around their barn, I could work with Jimmy in return. I'm ecstatic; I missed that boy, and the chance to see him again is one I didn't think I would ever get.
But I still havn't gotten to my good news.
I havn't seen my dear Logan since That Summer; it's been over a year, but seems so much longer. There have been days when I knew I did the right thing, and nights when I cried because I missed him so badly. I've heard pieces of news about Logan being sold; all of them proved to be untrue. Until now.
I have a friend who rides at my new stable who used to work at the place I first started riding lessons; the place that owned Logan. She says her boyfriend met Logan a few weeks ago...and they completelly bonded! She says it's hysterical, watching the two; ornery old Logan is chill and relaxed when her boyfriend is around. They get along so well, in fact, that her boyfriend is going to buy Logan. For real. He said it himself; there wasn't a question in his mind that if he could convince the owners to drop Logan's price from $1,000 to $500, they'd take him. I don't think it will be a hard bargain to make.
I can't honestly think of a better person to own Logan. My friend worked with Logan long before I did, and knew him from the day he arrived at my first stable. She saw him back when he was skin and bones, and brought him back from the memories of his past abuse. She loved him long before I even knew him. And now her boyfriend, who apperantly gets along with him so well, is going to own him...
And, best of all (in my eyes) they said they might board Logan at my current barn.
That's right. I'm not only certain that Logan is going to be in good hands, but I'll get to see it with my own eyes. Me and Logan are going to be reunited, finally!
I cannot think of any other way to describe this other than a miracle. God placed Logan in my friends capable hands, when he was in too much pain for me to help him...once my friend could help him no longer, Logan became a part of my life...when I needed something more, I left Logan, but he was a better horse then, one that could survive the year alone...when his owners tried to sell him, the sale fell through...because the Lord knew that Logan was meant to be back with my friend. He knew that Logan was to meet my friend's boyfriend, who gets along with him so well. And He knew that if Logan met her boyfriend, I would get to see him again, too. After so many goodbyes, everything is finally how it should be. Logan and I are both home, and together once again.
Even miracles take a little time. ~Unknown
Miracles happen. You just need to keep your eyes open, so you can see them clearly.

fabulous blog award; thanks amy!
inspirational blog award. thanks amy & savy!
0 comments:
Post a Comment