
I donated blood for the first time today.
The American Red Cross came to our school today and put on the blood drive. They came last year too, and I remember being so bummed because I was too young as a freshman to donate. But this year I was sixteen and I didn't hesitate to sign myself up for the event.
I signed in at eight thirty and for the next two hours I chilled in the library, answering questions about my personal life, my health. Drinking lots of water. Getting my fingers pricked to check the oxygen levels in my blood. Drinking more water. Telling the volunteers that, yes, I had eaten breakfast this morning, thankyouverymuch. No, I don't need your bagels and cream cheese, thankyouverymuch. Really, I'm not going to faint on you. Honestly.
Drinking more water. Listening to the bell chime for passing period as I sat down in the lawn chair. Smiling at the nurse lady; yes, I feel quite well, thankyouverymuch. No, I'm not allergic to iodine. "Look away ..." Aww, but watching the needle go in is the best part!
A little dizzy at first. Slowly getting used to the feel of my blood dripping down the small tube. Squeezing the stress ball every five seconds. Watching my blood turn the baggie a crimson red. One pint later and Ms. Nurse Lady has the needle out of my arm before I know what's happening.
At the end of it Ms. Nurse Lady told me I had the potential to save three lives with the pint I'd donated. That felt so special. I felt like I was really making a difference. Sitting in the computer lab, sipping on ice water and apple juice, I couldn't help but smile.
I've got a lovely bruise in the crease of my right elbow, but it's so much worth it. Thinking that three people might get to live because of what I've done ... it was so easy! And yet, this simple act means life or death to three people out there. And thinking about all the kids who donated today ... if just one pint of blood from me could rescue three people ... imagine one pint from every kid in the library today. Walking from class to class today, noticing all the other students with stickers on their clothing; "I bled."; "I pledged to give blood."; "HIGH SCHOOL DONOR" ... every one of them had the potential to save three lives. All of us together ... just think of what we could do!
Please, donate, if you ever get the chance. The posters at my school that advertised the drive read, "The need is constant. The gratification is instant." The posters didn't lie, folks.
Keep on living.
EDIT 11.5.08: Today at school, it was announced that, combining all the donations from everybody in the library on Monday, we collected enough blood at the drive to save over two hundred and fourty lives.
<333

fabulous blog award; thanks amy!
inspirational blog award. thanks amy & savy!
2 comments:
That's great! It's great that you got to make a difference for three dying people out there.
Wait- you didn't get to see the needle? Too bad. But personally I think it was good that you at least got to see your blood!
I've never donated blood. It's a great cause, though, I should do it.
It's not that she didn't LET me see the needle ... she just "advised" me to look away. Just in case it would make me queasy.
I watched anyway =D lol. I'm kind of a freak that way o.0
Definitly donate if you get a chance <33
Post a Comment