Anyone who works with horses knows that there truly is a relationship between a handler and their horse. Even someone who has never experienced this bond can watch a true horse & rider pair and appreciate the bond between the two. There really is no other way to describe it; some horses and people just bond, so deeply and unconditionally, that it is easy to relate the bond to human relationships.
On a less serious note, I've been thinking a lot about the horses we've looked at so far for sale, and have related the whole process of purchasing the horse to the process of introducing a new boyfriend (or girlfriend, if you're a guy) to the family.
Step One - you've gotta like the guy yourself. No point in introducing the guy to the family & friends if you really don't like him yourself. So you get to know him a little, decide if there's any "click", and then you eventually move on...
Step Two - meet the best friend. If your best friends don't like your new BF, it's gonna be really stressful on everyone involved; best friend, boyfriend, and yourself. The whole experience is a lot easier if everyone gets along, or can at least come to a compromise. If such is made, the final - and often most nerve wracking - step...
Step Three - meet the parents. Your parents love their baby girl and don't want her running off with some guy, no matter how wonderful. The first impression can potentially make or break your chances with your new BF - and if Daddy pulls out the rifle, run boy, run. However, if the parents approve, it's pretty much smooth sailing from then on out (hopefully).
Ha ha, I just made that up. I have no experience with dating or boyfriends or anything, but I suppose that's kinda how it works. Anyway, it all comes back to me and the horses I've looked at for sale...a department in which I have plenty experience.
Step One - I've gotta like the horse. If me and the horse don't "click", it's never going to work out. This is usually determined on the first trip out to see a horse, and if me and the horse don't get along, we usually don't move on to steps two and three. But if it does work...
Step Two - Meet the trainer. Your trainer is a lot like your best friend (and usually becomes such after enough sweat, blood & tears by both parties). Your trainer knows what's best for you often more than you do, and it's easy for him or her to tell you "Oh no, this won't work." When you get all googly-eyed over the pretty pony, Mr. Trainer's there to bring you back down to earth. But if your trainer approves...
Step Three - Meet the vet. Like the parents, the vet may be the most nerve-wracking person to introduce a new horse to. The vet's job is to scrutinize ever aspect of your potential purchase and point out any less-than-perfect detail. The vet will shoot down the horse 99% of the time (not in a literal sense, of course). But if the vet approves, and he thinks the horse will be able to do what you need... Kah-ching. Feel free to make the purchase.
Ok, now what was the point of that random post?!
Right now we've gone to look at four horses so far, and out of them only one has made it to Step Two - and that was a stretch. Now, I've seen yet another horse, and he's definantly got me fallen for him. He sailed through Step One with flying colors, and today barreld through Step Two as well; he's even got my trainer googly-eyed. Now, as long as the vet gives us a pass on the vet check...I may just have a new horse coming home.
Fingers crossed Daddy approves!!!

fabulous blog award; thanks amy!
inspirational blog award. thanks amy & savy!
1 comments:
wow.....that's pretty special, =) love your comparison. I agree, with horses or guys, that's a pretty cool guideline lol, we'll have to try it out...with a guy I mean....good luck with Tyler!!!
Post a Comment