BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Volleyball Tournament

I spent all of today - yes, all - with my best bud Lil'emo (see the link to her blog at left) watching her at her last volleyball tournament of this year's season. After this her and her club go to Reno, Nevada for a week-long tournament (is that right, Lil'emo?)...congrats guys!
It was a long, long day - I woke up at 5 AM, we got to the tournament at 7 AM...the tournament ended at 3:30 PM and I just now got home at 7 PM...it was a lot like horse show hours, really, lol - but it was a lot of fun watching my friend play. I hadn't gotten a chance to go to one of her tournaments yet, due to conflicting schedules. You and your team rock, Little'emo! Good luck in Reno!
I am not a sports person, but while waiting for Lil'emo's team to get back on court in between breaks, I made up a poem about volleyball. I may not be able to play to save my own skin, but I can appreciate the sport well enough.

The Beautiful Game
cowgirl4christ

Seven AM
And the game begins

#2 sets up for the serve

Standing tall, proud
All is silent, all is still
Her arms are outstretched,
One hand on top of the ball,
One underneith
The look in her eyes shows nothing
But sheer determination
Intense concentration

Nobody moves, nobody breathes
Until the ref blows her whistle
And #2 nods her head
She tosses the ball in the air,
Raises her right arm
And in a moment, the silence explodes

The sound of her flat palm
Colliding hard with the side of the ball
Echoes throughout the gymnasium
And suddenly the crowd is awake, enthusastic
Cheering on their team

And suddenly the court is alive, too
Players rushing for their places
Scrambling for their spots
Their hands colliding with the ball
Their bodies hitting the floor, hard
With the effort
But it's worth it

They laugh and cheer in their victory
The others still smile in defeat

Oh, how I love
The beautiful game

2 comments:

- King - said...

girl i love you and i'm so printing the poem off and putting it my scrapbook. love ya to death!!

Jenna said...

glad you like it lol