BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Graduation


Me & My Gang: What Dorks!
From Left To Right: Robyn, Me, Juliet, Josh, Brendon, Carli, Stephanie, Paige, Leah

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened. ~Unknown

Last night was my Eigth Grade Graduation Ceremony honoring me and my eighth grade class for graduating out of middle school. The school day was only a half day and we spent most of it signing yearbooks and chatting with friends and telling our teachers how much we appreciate them. Then, when we got home, the fun began.
It took me almost four hours to get myself ready for my big night. About two and a half of those hours were spent doing my hair. I have a massive amount of thick, uncooperative, frizzy hair that just wouldn't quite work like I wanted it to. Finally with lots of products and hairspray and help from my mom, I got my mop of hair to look almost halfway decent.
Then I got to get changed into my graduation dress. I never wear dresses. Ever. Or pink. Near to never. So a pink dress would be a complete oddity for me.
But I love my graduation dress. It's knee-length, strapless, and pink and black with black mesh and a funky criss-cross design; "almost gothic, in a way" to quote one of my friends. I'll have pictures of it up here eventually.
After I got my dress, jewelry, makeup and heels on - three and a half inches! I was almost six feet tall! - I was ready to go. As I climbed into our Silverado, I chuckled and wondered how silly I looked; my horse-hauling Chevy had suddenly become my limosine. As we made our way to the school, I imagined that it'd be deja-vu the night of junior prom.
When we finally arrived, I carefully stepped out of the truck and let Mom fiddle with my shawl, which had fallen off my shoulders. A few minutes later my aunt and her three girls showed up, and my oldest cousin commented on my dress; "You look beautiful tonight." It was too cute, coming from a six year old.
Finally we made our way toward the gymnasium where the ceremony was to take place, and I met up with my friends; almost all of them were there. We ooed and awed over eachothers dresses for a while and told two of the guys that we were glad they made an effort to look nice. Then Lil'emo showed up in her pretty purple dress and our group had arrived.
Together we walked into the gym like we owned the place. One of the graduate's sister played the piano, and as the melody of "Think Of Me" from Phantom of the Opera floated through the room, it nearly broke my heart;
Think of me, think of me fondly, when we've said goodbye...

But even so, I didn't feel like I was going to cry. Not yet.
Then I noticed how beautifully the gym had been decorated. Potted plants adorned the bleachers where a podium and all of our eigth grade teachers sat. A large arbor had been decorated with silver, white and blue balloons; our school colors. The large school banner hung behind the podium up against the wall. They had put a long of effort into making this night special, and we were glad.
Finally seven o'clock rolled around and all of the students made our way to our seats. A few minutes later, everyone had been organized and the ceremony began.
The ceremony was beautiful. Even though we'd only practiced the routine once, everything was flawless as we went up onto the bleachers that made a makeshift stage to recieve our certificates. It was a night none of us will soon forget.
When the ceremony was finally through, the reception began. We are not usually huggy-lovey people, but me and Lil'emo couldn't help but hug eachother as we got out of our seats. From the mouths of all my friends came similar remarks;
"Wow. It's over."
We had graduated. Most of us had been going to this school since kindergarten, and now we were leaving. I kept looking around, thinking about how this was the last time for everything; last time we'd be in that gym, that last time we'd see that teacher, the last time we'd all be together as a class...
And yet, none of us cried. We all thought we'd be bawling, but not a tear was shed. We all agreed why; "It hasn't hit me yet."
It did make it easier, knowing that almost all of us would be going to the same high school next year. And we all agreed we'd need to see eachother a lot over the summer.
For the next half hour or so we modeled for countless pictures and hugged eachother countless times. We wandered around, saying goodbye to teachers and friends. Eventually eight-thirty rolled around, and it was time to leave. More hugs, more goodbyes...and then we walked out of the building one last time.


Graduation (Friends Forever)

And so we talked all night about the rest of our lives
Where we're gonna be when we turn 25
I keep thinking times will never change
Keep on thinking things will always be the same
But when we leave this year we won't be coming back
No more hanging out cause we're on a different track
And if you got something that you need to say
You better say it right now cause you don't have another day
Cause we're moving on and we can't slow down
These memories are playing like a film without sound
And I keep thinking of that night in June
I didn't know much of love
But it came too soon
And there was me and you
And then we got real blue
Stay at home talking on the telephone
We'd get so excited, we'd get so scared
Laughing at ourselves thinking life's not fair
And this is how it feels

As we go on
We remember
All the times we
Had together
And as our lives change
Come whatever
We will still be
Friends forever

So if we get the big jobs
And we make the big money
When we look back now
Will our jokes still be funny?
Will we still remember everything we learned in school?
Still be trying to break every single rule
Will little brainy Bobby be the stockbroker man?
Will Heather find a job that won't interfere with her tan?
I keep, I keep thinking that it's not goodbye
Keep on thinking it's a time to fly
And this is how it feels

As we go on
We remember
All the times we
Had together
And as our lives change
Come whatever
We will still be
Friends forever

We will still be friends forever

Will we think about tomorrow like we think about now?
Can we survive it out there?
Can we make it somehow?
I guess I thought that this would never end
And suddenly it's like we're women and men
Will the past be a shadow that will follow us 'round?
Will these memories fade when I leave this town
I keep, I keep thinking that it's not goodbye
Keep on thinking it's a time to fly

As we go on
We remember
All the times we
Had together
And as our lives change
Come whatever
We will still be
Friends forever...


Thank you, Remi, for singing such a beautiful song on our graduation night.


Best Friends Forever!
cowgirl4christ & lil'emo

0 comments: