BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 25, 2008

"... To Write Love On Her Arms ..."

I just got finished watching an episode of LA Ink with my sis and best friend. Did I ever mention that I love that show? The tattoos are incredible, and Kat is just so gorgeous ... I love Pixie too =D Anyway.
I've always thought getting a tattoo would be awesome. In class (typically during boring lectures or after I'm finished with an assignment) I like to take a good-ol'-fashioned ballpoint pen and doodle on my wrists; usually my "tattoo" is a variation of a simple outline of a heart. Usually black ink. Sometimes upside-up, sometimes upside-down. Sometimes I get colorful and I fill in the outline, alternating between bands of black and red in my signature color scheme. Sometimes I add words to my heart; once I wrote "Very Much Alive" along the straight edges and underneith the heart in honor of Gerard Way's temporary inscription on his neck, and once I wrote "Believe" going through the heart, with the letters "lie" inside the heart; a tribute to Fall Out Boy's Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year? ("the best part of believe is the lie ...")
But, typically, it's just the black outline of the heart. Plain and simple. And it's always on the inside of my left wrist; I am right handed, after all ;) The "tattoo" lasts a few days, give or take, depending on how hard I press with the pen. With my luck I'll probably die of ink poisoning now ... o.0 Oh well.
So I thought for a while that would be a fun tattoo, just the outline, but then I thought about something bigger. I think I'd always be the type for a word tattoo, something that said something meaningful to me ... a Bible verse seemed like the obvious choice.
Romans 5:3 - 5a has been my favorite Bible verse for ages:

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because from suffering comes perserverance; perserverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not dissapoint us ..."

I thought that, in an elegant font, written on the inside of my left forearm, starting at the crease of the elbow and working towards the wrist, would be amazing.
Then maybe something from Ecclesiastes on the inside of my right forearm ... it'd be tiresome to list all my favorite verses from that book, and I'd more likely than not end up quoting the whole book anyway lol. My favorite book in the Bible, by far.
Anyway. So I had that idea.
But then I always thought a tattoo of my favorite lyrics would be amazing too ... so I got thinking about my favorite My Chemical Romance lyrics (naturally :p) and thought, in twenty years, what song will still mean the most from me? What will I want permantly written on my body when I'm lying in my death bed?
Famous Last Words. The lyrics, the message ... there will never be a time in my life when that won't mean something to me. So I got playing around with several variations of those lyrics ...
One idea I had was having "awake" written on the inside on one wrist (again, in an elegant font) and "unafraid" written on the inside of the other.
Then I tried to think of something to do with the chorus, my favorite part of the whole song. I thought at first about just "Keep On Living" written on one of my arms, but thought, wait at minute ... and an idea came to mind.
On the inside of one wrist, closest to my hand, I would have "I am not afraid" written on a banner, maybe, above an elegant cross. Some gorgeous, intricate thing. Maybe with some celtic knotwork incorporated; I love knots! And then under the cross, nearer the crease of my elbow, would be "to keep on living", also on a banner.
Spiffy, huh? ^^
Anyway it's late and I don't know why I'm sitting here at half-past midnight telling the general public about tattoos I'd like to get someday.
Whatever. Maybe I'll go draw them up or something now.

Until next time ... keep on living <33

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh. What neat idea. I love the Bible verse idea. And (of course) the My Chem lyrics idea.
I've always loved the ideas of tattoos. The art and beauty of them.
Though I, who have a serious problem with needles, will probably never muster up the courage to get one.
Oh and I agree, Kat's tattoos are really something. I love the art!

Jenna said...

Tattoos really are an art form <33
I love needles, so I would probably be completelly facinated with watching them give me my tattoo =D lol
That is, if I ever get one. Imagining them and drawing them on paper is one thing - getting one is totally different!! lol
I would love one ... but ...
We'll see :p

Anonymous said...

Yeah it really is.
at one pointe when my mom was really into the photography aspect of her career she was going to photograph/write a book on the art of tattoos. It was pretty cool.

Savy said...

COWGIRL4CHRIST... Have you watched the making of the "Helena" video? There was a lady who had MCR lyrics on the inside of her right arm starting at the crease of her elbow and going across, working their way down. So, for example, if she stretched her arm out with her palm up, someone in front of her could read it like a book.

I love your ideas though! A tatoo would be cool, but neither my parents nor my church would be very supportive, even if it was a scripture verse lol :)

AMY... Don't worry, Gerard is afraid of needles too! ;)

Jenna said...

Amy ... wow! I bet that book would have been awesome!! <33

Savy ... yeah, I've seen the making of the Helena video. I loved that girl's tattoos!!! Especially how she incorporated the Bullets "logo" of sorts (the man hanging by his feet) next to the lyrics. So cool!