Wow. I haven't been on this blog in forever. Or any of my blogs, for that matter. I feel bad. I feel like I haven't been keeping anyone updated.
Truth is, there's not much to say.
It's started raining in Washington again. I wake up every morning before the sun rises and often arrive at school before the principal. Playing jazz and concert music for two hours before I start my school day is bliss, despite the early mornings. We're talking about going to Reno for a jazz festival. I might go to Italy this summer. I got invited to a prestigious academic opportunity this summer; explaining such would take up more time than necessary on here. I took the PSAT today; it wasn't so bad. I got to see Bob today, too. It greatly improved a mood which was otherwise .... eh, comme ci, comme ça. I'm learning French. People at the barn are talking schooling shows for the winter. I can't wait to get back in the ring. I've already got an ache in the pit of my stomach, imagining riding at Regionals again ... but I still can't quite grasp my mind around the chance that I'm going to get to ride at Nationals again almost a year from now. I love my Beatles CD's I bought recently. I'm listening to Maxwell's Silver Hammer right now. I have been contemplating my musical preferences lately and trying really hard to get ready for My Chemical Romance's new CD. I can't seem to find the motivation to get excited for an album they're describing as "the dumber, the better". But, at the same time, the raw sound they're going for and the newness of a complete different style is intriguing. I don't know yet. I just finished a bowl of peaches. Sure, they were canned, but they were delicious nonetheless. Right now I'm putting off honors english homework and discovering that the new sweatpants I bought today are super comfy and warm :3
So. I there's a run-down of my existence (: lol
Basically, I'm really loving how my life is going right now. For the most part, I'm extremely content. All's well (: I feel like I've been blessed with a lot of opportunities lately, and I feel like - uncharacteristically of me - I've been taking them all head-on. I'm not backing out of any opportunities these days. It's really a beautiful feeling, this ambition.
Before I go, I want to share with you an ... article? If you will. Written by Steven Smith (pictured; quite largely, I might add :o), Fuse television host and basically an awesome dude ;D He wrote this as a MySpace bulletin and, quite frankly, I thought what he had to saw was remarkable (besides, he's talking about a band I happen to think is amazing). Check it out;.jpg)
"What is it about a good rock show?
Last night I went to my nth Gaslight Anthem show and as always they delivered.
The biggest change I noticed was the crowd.
Gaslight have gotten popular. Super popular. And I'm way proud of them.
Good music will win out, I've always said, but it's a crap shoot.
I try not to judge, I really do. The thing about the crowd was it got a little fratty. I've noticed the same with Wilco over the past couple of years. And you know what? That's fine. Band's can't choose their audiences, they ask everyone to listen. It's a weird concept. Very capitalist in a way. Money for art.
I absoulutely love the Gaslight Anthem. I have since I first heard them years ago. Do I feel I'm a cooler fan or a better fan than their new fans? I used to - which is rude as balls because I know the school of fans treating bands like girlfriends. You want everyone to know her but not love her like you do. Make sense?
Gaslight are a wonderful example because they are just so damn good the world needs to hear them. I strongly believe it will be a better place. Of course I feel the same way about Strike Anywhere, the Riverboat Gamblers, and Banner Pilot but there's something different about Gaslight. And a slew of other bands.
Is it the X Factor? Is it definable?
John Mayer has a great quote where he says he likes good music no matter what. He doesn't go for genres. Good country is good music, good punk is good music, good hip hop is good music. and so on.
What makes one band more accessible than others?
What is mainstream? Is there a mainstream anymore? I say no.
Enough out of me.
Your turn.
Let's discuss.
Steven"
I thought that was a very thought provoking article. I loved his girlfriend metaphor. So true (:
So. Hopefully I will post more often. ...I know, I keep saying that. But hopefully if I say it enough, I'll start acting on it.
I might hop on over to music.is.life right now and update that. I feel bad for abandoning my "Then & Now" series ... especially since most the bands I've talked about previously on that blog have experienced major changes recently, which should be documented accordingly.
Anyway. Off I go.
Hope you enjoyed this little ramble.
xoxo
keep on living

fabulous blog award; thanks amy!
inspirational blog award. thanks amy & savy!
1 comments:
Missed your posts!
Love Maxwell's Silver Hammer! Great song!
Ahhh. My cousin live in Seattle and he keeps taunting me with all that rain. . .stupid dry AZ. :p
Post a Comment